Monday, May 7, 2007

Calling out all Red Devils

Last night I had a dream that I was asked give a pep talk to the senior class at Nile C. Kinnick High School. There I was standing the middle of the old football field dressed up in my old mascot uniform. "Sparky! Sparky! Sparky!" they all shouted. That was my nick name as the mascot of the Yo-Hi Red Devils. I was the coolest and cutest little red devil you ever saw - Sparky was so cool!

When I woke up this morning, I thought that it odd that I had a dream about my high school alma mater. I rarely ever think about high school. When I was planning a schedule for projects I'm working on for my boss today, it occurred to me that next month would have been my 10 year high school reunion. Alas, because I attended an American high school in Japan and all of us are spread across the globe and no such reunion will be taking place.

So, in honor of the Nile C. Kinnick High School Class of 1997, this is for you:

I am offering each you a free, autographed copy of the ONLY SKIN DEEP? An Essential Guide to Effective Skin Cancer Programs and Resources to each of my fellow '97 Kinnick classmates. This seems a bit cheesy, if not a bit pretensious, to assume that my classmates would want an free autographed copy of my book, yet I do not do this to brag or boast; rather, I do it as a means of letting each my fellow Red Devils know how much they meant to me during those crazy years in Japan. When I moved to Japan, my mother had recently passed away, there was a considerable amount of mayhem and turmoil going on in my life. Yet, the opportunity of being Sparky the Red Devil mascot gave me a sense of belonging, even purpose. Instead of worrying about my problems, I was able to cheer for, uplift, encourage, support and befriend my peers. Japan was an incredible experience largely due to the fun I had being Sparky. I can still hear my classmates shouting "Sparky! Sparky! Sparky!" as I walk down the halls of Nile C. Kinnick High, in the shadows of Mt. Fuji.


Anyway, to commemorate Skin Cancer Awareness month this year, and to acknowledge my high school reunion, I'm offering one (1) copy of the book to each person I graduated with 10 years ago. (Keep in mind, I know who you are... As Sparky the Red Devil mascot, I remember who I graduated with. So, no cheating, folks! Get your own copy, and help fund skin cancer prevention education programs!)


If you are a member of the Nile C. Kinnick High School Class of 1997, and would like a copy of ONLY SKIN DEEP? An Essential Guide to Skin Cancer Programs and Resources please send me an email at info@cancercrusaders.org (One book per person, please. We want to donate the proceeds from each book to skin cancer prevention education and research).

Many of you Kinnkers may be thinking that skin cancer only affects "Gaikokujins" (or Haoles). Yet, everyone is at risk for skin cancer. So, find out how you can protect yourself and those you love from this common, yet preventable cancer.


For those of you who aren't members of the KHS Class of 1997, you can get a copy of the book by clicking on the following link:
http://www.amazon.com/Only-Skin-Deep-Essential-Effective/dp/0595432735


Hoping that all of you Red Devils are not red (or tan) from the sun, and that the last 10 years have treated you well.

Sincerely,
Danielle (formerly known as "Sparky")

No comments: