Thursday, May 10, 2007

Fantasy Fundraiser

Recently the hip-hop dance team, Club Style, from Brigham Young University volunteered to organize a fundraiser for The Cancer Crusaders Organization. This is the first time I have seen a group of college students (who are our primary target audience) rally together to raise funds for skin cancer prevention, since we were officially incorporated as a non-profit skin cancer facility in January 2004. Club Syle hosted a Dance-A-Thon. Each student recruited sponsors. For every $5.00 donated, they had to dance for an entire hour. The Dance-A-Thon was packed, and was a grand success.

Thank you to my friend Laurel Matsuda, and to the hip-hop dance team at Brigham Young University, for taking a interest and for helping raise funds for the cause!


After the Dance-A-Thon, someone asked me what kind of fundraising event would I love to host in the future. In truth, I would absolutely love to have a benefit concert featuring my favorite singers and bands. Pat Benatar, Fleetwood Mac, Journey, and other favorites, would come and sing their hearts out to a crowd of thousands. And we would release a CD of the live performanc!

I have daydreamed about singing my favorite songs by these artists, with them on stage. It would be the benefit concert to define all benefit concerts. Incredible music and entertainment, thousands of people wearing Skin Cancer Awareness ribbons, and me living out the fantasy of singing my favorite songs with my favorite artists.

Some of the songs I would love to either sing as a duet, or as back up, (or simply be on stage rocking out to) would include:

"Promises in the Dark", "Shadows in the Night" and, of course, "Love is a Battlefield - Pat Benatar (the ultimate girl-power-rocker ever!)

"You Lie", "Is There Life Out There", and maybe "Just a Little Love", - Reba McEntire (her music provided me much comfort during my mother's battle with cancer, and for a couple of years afterward)

"Purple Rain" - Prince (that's the only song by Prince I like/love)

"We Can Last Forever", "You're the Inspiration", or "Look Away"- Chicago (great city, and a great band)

"Faithfully", "Don't Stop Believing," or any other song off Journey's Greatest Hits Album. (Steve Perry, won't you make a guest appearance?)

"Silver Springs" and "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow" - Fleetwood Mac (gotta love Fleetwood Mac! Buy their album "The Dance")

"Angel" - Sarah McLachlan (the best song writer ever, with Stevie Nicks running as second. They are so gifted with words)

"Winter" - Tori Amos

"Sweet Emotion" - Aerosmith (classic, classic, classic 80s rock band)

"She's My Girl", "Free Fallin'", "Refugee", or "I Won't Back Down" - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (my mom was in to Tom Petty, and Aerosmith, when I was growing up)

"Sweet Child of Mine" - Guns-n-Roses (my mom was also into Guns-n-Roses)

"In This Life" and "Love Me" - Collin Raye (two of the four country songs my mother could stand. Plus, they are sweet, touching songs)

"Stayin' Alive" - BeeGees (good times, folks)

"Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves" - Eurthymics and Aretha Franklin (go, girls, go!)


Oh, and there are many others, as well!


And there you have it - that's my Fantasy Fundraiser.

In the meantime, however, you can help raise money for skin cancer prevetion education by purchasing a copy of the newly released ONLY SKIN DEEP? An Essential Guide to Effective Skin Cancer Programs and Resources. When I checked this morning, there was only one left in stock on Amazon.com (more are coming, though). The book is also available on BarnesandNoble.com, and as a e-book on iUniverse.com.


Thanks for supporting the fight against skin cancer!

Rock on,
Danielle.

No comments: