Tuesday, June 12, 2007

10 years later

It occurred to me that, instead of taking a 15 minute break from work to write a blog entry, I should be spending the day at a high school reunion. After all, it was exactly 10 years ago today that I graduated high school.

I have gone from the boisterous Sparky the Red Devil Mascot sporting all things Red-n-White to promote school spirit, to the SunSavvy Geek sporting all things orange-n-yellow to promote Skin Cancer Awareness. From a would-be news reporter for the Washington Post, to the author of ONLY SKIN DEEP? An Essential Guide to Effective Skin Cancer Programs and Resources; my life has taken a slightly different route that I had initially planned 10 years ago. Yet, I am pleasantly surprised.

Life has a funny way of showing us what really matters most. It has a way of humbling us as we grow, and change. As I gradually evolve into a better version of myself, I realize and appreciate that [part of] our purpose as human beings is to serve and bless other human beings. We have been given this "unique gift called life", as Gabrielle Reece once said, to improve the lives of those around us.

I hope that you will enjoy me, and others, in helping save lives from this extremely preventable disease. There is still much to be done in conquering skin cancer, but it is possible to reduce the number of lives that it claims. With 90-95% of skin cancers being completely preventable, we can save lives as well as improve the quality of life. Doesn't that provide you with a shining glimmer of hope? Doesn't that inspire you? We have the power to change, improve, and save lives! What an amazing responsibility -- and opportunity -- this is for all of us! Out of something terrible and devastating, we have the ability to transform it into something positive that can bless countless numbers of people.

A month ago, my best friend reminded me, in the wake of a painful and terrible situation that "the Lord works in mysterious ways." At the time, I just shook my head. Yet, I apply that statement now and say, we have the ability to transform the tide of an unnecessary epidemic. In our pain, we can come together and unite and plant the seeds of hope. This is not foolishly optimistic hope; rather it is a real reason to look toward the future for a brighter, better day.

So, will you join us in this crusade to fight skin cancer (and ALL cancers)?

What have you been doing with this charge that He has entrusted us with; to live a life of service, and to bless those around us?

Here's to a cancer-free world, and to letting the people in our lives know how much we love and appreciate them!

Always,
Danielle

No comments: